Saturday, November 04, 2006

마음청정 나라청정

The reason for visiting Korea in 2002 was a depressing one. I had a heated argument with my superior. No one was right or wrong in that instance, it was just ideological difference. The very next day I submitted my application for two weeks leave and my superior approved on the spot. So I went on a holiday to Korea to release an oppressed mind and find the peace it needed.

I avoided Seoul and chose to stay in Kyongju. I stayed in the Kolon Hotel which was just beside Bulguksa Temple. From where I stayed, I had a good view of the Mt.Tohamsan. I found much joy going mountain hiking and countryside trekking everday. The cool weather of spring was just ideal for these activities.

Some of the days were very wet. During some night and early morning, thick mist was hanging lowly and I felt like I was walking in the cloud. I was detached from the mundane world for the time I was in Kyongju. I was not thinking of my work, the unhappiness I had caused to my superior or other stress-inducing thoughts. Peace finally settled in my mind and on my return to Singapore, I knew I was no longer going to be the same.

Entrance to Sokkuram Grotto in Mt. Tohamsan, Kyongju

I took a picture of the entrance to the Sokkuram Grotto about a week before Buddha Birthday (or what we called the Vesak day in Singapore) in 2002. The entrance was all dressed up for the big day. Back then, I did not understand any of the two vertical columns of words on each side of the entrance. But now I understand.

마음청정 나라청정 - Mind at peace, country at peace
마음을맑게 세상을밝게 - Clear is the mind, bright is the world

I had these same realisations when I returned from Korea that year. The external world is actually a reflection of our internal world. We see what we want to see. Changing the world around us, it seems, is no longer that untenable. We just have to change our mind and the world around us will change in tandem. I knew I was no longer going to be the same because I finally realised how far a change in my thought can take me to.

2 comments:

  1. It never occurred to me before that you would argue with anyone. Now I know that you are not immortal 히히

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was never an immortal to begin with. Anyway, people do change. ^^

    ReplyDelete