Sunday, November 05, 2006

행복한 이유

After returning from the one-week immersion programme in Kyunghee University, I wrote an e-mail to tell my teacher of my experience in Kyunghee. I have everything good to say about the programme but on the other hand I became uncertain about continuing with my Korean study.

Frankly, I was quite demoralised (but not to the extent of quitting) about continuing with my Korean study. Firstly, there is no institution in Singapore that offers Korean studies at higher level. Secondly, even on completion of advanced level at NUS extension, I will be no where proficient in my use of the Korean language. In brief, I cannot see a future in my Korean language learning beyond NUS Extension.

My teacher replied with an attachment of the homeworks submitted by her better students and tried to show me that there is every reason to believe that I can continue to improve by attending lessons and working hard.

SunriseThe day came when I understood what my teacher was trying to impress upon me. In the 2nd Korean Langauge Speech Contest, NUS Extension was represented with nine speakers among the nineteen finalists. It may not seem significant unless I tell you that my teacher was only given a week's notice to inform all her students about the contest. The students were required to submit their presentation articles within days before the registration closing date.

Eventually, the students never let her down. They came back with one second prize and two third prizes. Asiana's representative even thought that third prize winner, Jean Teo, should have been the winner and instantly offered her a free air ticket to Korea. For those who did not win, I also thought that they performed very well. My teacher was simply overjoyed with the students' good performance.

To have good students, to a teacher, is a reason to be happy about.

Equally to study under a good teacher, to a student, is a reason to be happy about.

I met my teacher recently, she encouraged me to go Korea to further my language study. I will think about it. With the Korean lessons coming to an end, its time for me to learn to "fly on my own" and find my own way. I must say I can now see a future in Korean language learning beyond NUS Extension.

No comments:

Post a Comment