Friday, November 03, 2006

미안해요

A day after the Korean Language Proficiency Language Test, our teacher sent us an e-mail, eager to know the outcome of the test.


My reply:

The KLPT is harder than I expected. While I may have completed my revision of the green KLPT book but I still wasn't able to answer one-third of the 100 questions with confidence. I probably know the answers to about 20 questions but that was still way off the 40 questions passing mark.

For the test, we need to be able to listen, read and understand the language fast. While I believe there are questions which I may be able to give the right answer if given more time, it just cannot be done during the test. The short time given for each question effectively prevented us from even translating the words in our mind. I have great difficulty coping with the long passage and conversation for both listening and reading.

미안해요. 아마 시험에 붙지 못 할 거예요. [I'm sorry. I probably cannot pass]


A Korean Language teacher wannabe's reply:

사실은 저한테 그 시험을 굉장히 어려워서 잘 못 했다고 생각했어요. 선생님의 기대를 크게 저버린 것 같아서 정말 미안해요.
[Frankly, to me, that test was extremely difficult. I don't think I can do well. I'm sorry for not meeting teacher's expection to a large extent.]


Another good student's reply:

저도 그 시험을 퍽 어려워서 잘 못 하는걸 같습니다. 선생님이 실망한다면 죄송합니다.
[Me too. Because that test was quite difficult, I don't think I can do well. I am very sorry for disappointing you.]


There is one thing common among us. We all felt apologetic to our teacher for failing to do well in the test. Perhaps this is a Asian's mentality. We always feel indebted to our teachers when we do not do well in our examination.

4 comments:

  1. Oh....feeling the same too sob....sob....:p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teacher thinks that you are a good student. 좋은학생 울지마! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually it's quite interesting that Singaporean speak English as their official language (which is based on Western culture) but their thinking is very "Asian".

    I'm sure that no Westerner will feel like this to their teacher after having taken the exam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, while Singaporeans speak English, we are still quite Asian in our thinking. Some Westerners are actually surprised that Singaporeans are less westernised than they thought.

    ReplyDelete