Monday, October 16, 2006

한국어가 재미있어요?

"Is Korean language that interesting?" somebody asked.

I wasn't prepared to answer the question. His facial expression clearly showed that he wasn't interested in the answer. His question was merely an expression of doubt rather than a quest for clarification.

"Oh, I just study it for fun." I answered for politeness sake and switched the topic of discussion.

It may be a small opening but it opens to a big world out there. Such is the power of language. (Picture taken at Hwaseong Fortress, Suwon)

Henry Ford once said, "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right."

I would just like to adapt his quote slightly.

"Whether one think its interesting or not interesting, they are both right."

It is counter-productive to prove either view is right or wrong. What is more important is whether my interest is genuine. With interest, all my senses are awakened. Everything will naturally become interesting.

4 comments:

  1. Nice photo:)

    Btw, was that guy who asked you that question Korean or Singaporean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spicebears: you must be one of those who thinks its interesting.
    같은 생각이다 ^^

    Song: Thanks for your compliment. I'm flattered especially when it comes from a fine photographer herself =D
    여하튼, 그 분은 싱가포르 사람이다.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well put about the subject of relative subjectivity and the law of arbitrary view of what is right and wrong.

    I would have just shrugged my shoulders and walk away.

    Dang..these people who just do not understand the need to respect other's ways of life.

    ReplyDelete