Friday, October 13, 2006

더 싸게 해주세요

얼마예요? (How much?)
더 싸게 해주세요. (Please make it cheaper)
[값이]깎을 수 없어요? (Cannot cut [the price]?)

These are the few sentences which I memorised by hard in case I need to buy and bargain in Korea. Honestly, I am quite bad at bargaining. So I ended up using "얼마예요?" most of the time.

When I visited Seoul this March, I have this feel that Seoul's standard of living has gone up significantly since my last visit four years ago. My feel was confirmed in a Reuters' report on 15 Jun 2006.



Seoul has taken the top spot from Tokyo as Asia's most expensive city for expatriates, thanks to the South Korean won's appreciation against the dollar. According to a survey by ECA International, Seoul is the fourth most expensive place for foreign staff at multinational companies in the world, with Tokyo trailing in sixth place. - June 15 (Reuters)

The world's 10 most expensive cities for expatriates

1. Luanda, Angola
2. Kinshasa, Democratic Rep. of Congo
3. Oslo, Norway
4. Seoul, South Korea
5. Moscow, Russia
6. Tokyo, Japan
7. Yokohama, Japan
8. Stavanger, Norway
9. Copenhagen, Denmark
10.Geneva, Switzerland

8 years ago when I first stepped foot on Korea, the exchange rate was S$1 to more than 700won. 4 years ago I re-visited Korea, the exchange rate was like S$1 to slightly less than 700won. This year, exchange rate was S$1 to 600won. Things have really gotten expensive in Korea.

In March this year, I exchanged only S$200 for my one week study at Kyunghee. I thought that would be enough for my daily expenses as other expenses could be paid with credit card. I had underestimated the appreciation of living standard in Seoul over the years. One day before my departure from Seoul, I actually used up all my won. It was a weekend and all the banks were closed. Fortunately, there was a money exchange counter outside Gyeong Bok Gung. I exchanged another S$100 although the exchange rate was unfavourable.

I know what I will do the next time I visit Korea. I will buy a train ticket out of Seoul and stay in other cities. As you can see, no other Korean cities are in the top ten list of the most expensive cities.

6 comments:

  1. heh heh....so now you know.....How come Singapore is not in the list?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 생활비는 싱가포르가 서울보다 더 낮아서요.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But I think the transportation will be expensive too. Besides, it takes more time to get to Seoul and back to your place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Song 씨, you are right. It could be more expensive and time consuming if I have to take transportation in and out of Seoul on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Thanks for the information. I am wondering why Angola and Congo are top of the table.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 알고 싶으면 앙골라하고 콩고가 한번 가보세요. ㅋㅋㅋ

    ReplyDelete