Monday, July 23, 2007

마음을 훕치는 사람

I was first introduced to this Korean comics during our Korean Culture Course at NEX. 광수생각 or "Kwangsoo's Thoughts" is apparently a very successful comics series in Korea. The main character is called "Sin Bborie" (신뽀리) and not Kwangsoo as I first thought. The name "Sin Bborie" has the meaning of wanting to steal your heart. Yes, Bborie does successfully steal a lot of readers' heart by filling their hearts with warmth. Bborie is a sensitive guy with a lot of empathy for others. He does not lie. He has integrity. He is frank and last but not least, he is patriotic. Kwangsoo's Thoughts, in general, talks about love and separation of lovers, the nostalgia in people, friendship and family and the warm feeling and thought of life. If you can read Korean, you will probably love the comics like many other Koreans do. However, if what matters to you is the drawing then perhaps "Kwangsoo's Thoughts" may not appeal that much. Below are two comics strips of Kwangsoo's Thoughts. The translation is found below each comics.

Picture 1:
Teacher: Remember the homework on family tree and writing down the characteristics of your relatives which I teacher gave you the last time? All done?

Picture 2:
Bborie: Yes!
Other students: Yes

Picture 3:
Teacher: Oh really? Shin Bborie, shall I see what you have come out with?

Picture 4:
Teacher looks at the family tree. Bborie wrote the following characteristics about his family and relative.

Grandfather - Never gives me money.
Grandmother - Gives me a bit of money.
Father - Come back late at night so cannot get money from him
Mother - Only gives me 100won a day. Nothing more.
Uncle - Never gives me money and yet still makes me run errand for him.
Me - And I need to eke out a living with this little money.

Footnote:
Please tell your children that there is more important things than money


Picture 1:
Woman: Honey, do you love me?
Bborie: Of Course~! Like sky that much ...

Picture 2:
Bborie suddenly realizes that if he is to say I love you like sky that much, she may feel that my love is very low.

Picture 3:
Woman: Honey, do you love me?
Bborie: Of course~! Like earth that much ...

Picture 4:
Bborie realizes again that if he is to say I love you like earth that much, she may feel that my love is very limited.

Picture 5:
After all these thoughts, Bborie thinks to himself that he should just say I love you.

Woman: Honey, do you love me?
Bborie: Um, I love you!

Footnote:
When you want to say I love you, words other than I love you must not be said.

No comments:

Post a Comment