Tuesday, December 19, 2006

덕수궁이야

Jung Hwa Jeon (중화전-中和殿) - The main hall of Deoksugung

Deoksugung(덕수궁-德壽宮) was a palace which I had very little impression of. My visit there was not planned. I just happened to pass by its main entrance while walking in the vicinity of City Hall in Seoul. Visiting Deoksugung was kinda of by the way.

I couldn't recall why I wasn't paying attention to the palace buildings and scenery. Maybe it was because of the threatening sky and I was rushing to cover the palace compound before the rain. Until now, I am still not aware that there is a statue of King Sejong in the palace. That is an indication of how badly I remember my visit to Deoksugung.

If there is one thing that I still remember, it is the presence of a European-style building, the National Museum of Comtemporary Art, amidst the Korean palace buildings. The contrast was great and the impression stayed. I guess, a good part of memory is made up of those contrasting moments in life.

The National Museum of Comtemporary Art in Deoksugung

3 comments:

  1. yes it wasn't very impressive. however, according to the guide, when the japs built the the modern building, they have caused imbalance to the whole fengsui of the palace.

    Interesting.

    But, I agree with you, it not impressionable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dorry. i dunno why got double entry leh....now got third entry...미안해.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is ok. I have removed the repeated entry. Now you only have two entries. ^^

    ReplyDelete