Sunday, December 10, 2006

부대찌개의 이야기

When I was introduced the different types of Korean food during my level 1 Korean language lesson, the Korean food that left the most impression on me was Budaejjigae. Ironically, I have yet to taste Budaejjigae. "Budae" (부대-部隊) means a military unit and "Jjigae" refers to a stew made from chilli pepper paste. My teacher told the class that Budaejjigae has a sad story behind it.

The "budae" actually refers to the American military units and Budaejjigae was a product of the Korean War. During the war, food was scarce and the Koreans had to resort to eating the leftovers from the American soldiers' ration. That is why sausage, ham, bacon and cheese are among the ingredients found in Budaejjigae. To suit the Koreans' palate, the leftovers were cooked in chilli pepper paste and hence Budaejjigae was born.

I will count my blessing if I am ever going to eat Budaejjigae. Korean War may be over but the memory still continues in Budaejjigae. This is one meaningful Korean food that I will want to try. Not sure if it is sold in Singapore though.

One-person portion of Budaejjigae [Photo Credit: FatMan Seoul]

7 comments:

  1. It looks yummy! Let's check it out wheather it is available in Singapore's Korean restaurants, and we shall try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only down side is that it's not very healthy... --;;;

    맛있긴 하지만 몸에는 별로 안좋아요...

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Yesmaru: If you do find it please tell me.

    To Song: Thanks for the tip. Korea food is generally known to be healthy except of course budaejjigae. I will remember this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 부대찌개 안 먹은지 벌써 1년이 다 되가요. 대학가 주변에서는 1인분에 3000원이면 먹을 수 있는데..
    먹고 싶다.ㅜ.ㅜ

    근데 왜 몸에 안 좋은 거죠?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sue, one year is quite a long time for not eating something. As to why Budaejjigae is not good for health, it is probably because ingredients like ham, cheese and sausage are quite fattening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 남편이 부대찌개 먹으러 가자는데 진짜 갈만한 한국식당이 없네요.. 힝

    ReplyDelete
  7. 탄정파가 일대 한국식당이 괜찮하대요.

    ReplyDelete