Sunday, September 02, 2007

좋은 사전을 소개할게

After my electronics dictionary died on me after drinking too much fluid from the leaking batteries, I suddenly feel kinda handicapped in my Korean study. Upon recommendation by my teacher, Ms Choi, I started checking on the Daum Dictionary which is available in the Internet. I must say that this dictionary has both the convenience of the e-dictionary and the comprehensiveness of the paper dictionary. Its only pitfall is that it is not portable.

I have provided the link above. Once you click on the link, you will be brought to a screen like the one below. Among the different dictionaries shown, use the English Dictionary (영어사전). You can type English words and have them translated into Korean. You can also type Korean words to search for their English meanings. If you are looking up for the meaning of Korean verbs, they need not always be entered in their verb-stem form. The dictionary is "smart" enough to guess the correct verb-stem though this is not always the case. The other useful feature is that it gives a lot of useful examples on how a particular Korean word or phrase can be used.

Lack of a e-dictionary, the Daum dictionary is the next best alternative that I can have to help my Korean study. Talking about study, I realise that I only have 2 weeks left to TOPIK. Arrgh, I need to get back to study. I guess I will have no time in the coming two weeks for blog updating.

Update: Kaye recommends Naver dictionary. I did a comparison of Daum and Naver dictionary and they gave the same result. What this means is that both dictionaries are sharing the same database. So there is no different in whichever dictionary you choose. Actually any respectable Korean website should have a decent dictionary. Here are three more dictionaries to choose from depending on which Korean website you support - Empas, Nate and Yahoo.

2 comments:

  1. 난 네이버 사전을 많이 쓰는데요. 그 거도 좋긴 해요.

    endic.naver.com ^^

    시험 할 보구요... 화이팅! \(''\)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 네이버 사전과 다음 사전은 둘다 똑 같더라고요. 어느 것을 사용하면 되지요.

    격려해주고 관심을 가져줘서 고마워요. o^^o

    ReplyDelete