Monday, September 17, 2007

드디어 끝

So I have finally completed my first attempt at TOPIK last Sunday. I wasn't after the TOPIK certificate when I decided to take the test. The test is just a means for me to push myself towards a higher level of Korean proficiency. I believe people work best when they are being challenged. Unless I set myself a higher bar, I will have to be contented being a beginner. As I look back, I am actually quite satisfied with my effort. Frankly, it wasn't easy preparing for TOPIK Intermediate test. Firstly, I was only halfway through my intermediate lessons and there were many intermediate-level grammar and vocabulary that I have yet to learn. Also, my work commitment was zapping a lot of energy away from me and I was almost drained out at the end of each day. Attending lessons and doing homework in the evening almost felt like a drudgery. It wasn't easy but I am glad that I have took up the challenge. As the good old adage goes "no pain no gain".

Without being conscious of it, I have learnt almost 100 new grammar and several hundred new words within a short span of 9 weeks. As I flipped through the Kyunghee Intermediate 2 textbook yesterday, I realised I have almost covered everything that is in the book. In spite of that, I will still be continuing with Advance Level 2 and 3 at SKS to get a firmer grounding in the language. There is a good chance for Advance Level 2 class to start in the next semester but I will be taking a break as I have some other plan. It seems that next year will probably be my last year of Korean study because after that there won't be anymore lessons in Singapore for me to attend. I heard that NEX is finally going to make Intermediate level Korean course a reality next year. This will likely give SKS a run for their money but it may happen a little bit too late for me. I will be raising the bar to advance level next year and that is what will keep me busy next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment