Tuesday, August 14, 2007

마음 교환

Our teacher at KHU, Ms Cheon Eun Jeong, asked us one day if we knew a NUS Extension student by the name of Jane while we were having lunch with her. Apparently she will be coming to KHU for a 10-week language course after we leave Korea. None of us knew her since as a matter of fact, NEX has more than a thousand students taking its Korean language courses every year. However, recently I came across Jane's personal blog called "This Other Eden". In it, she wrote about her 10-week KHU and Korea experience. This is a small world afterall. While I don't know her in person but I get to "know" her from Ms Cheon and then through her blog. I think she might also have visited my blog. As to why I think so, you will have to read her blog entries to find out ~.^


******


I received a few mails in my hotmail inbox recently. I would like to share what I have read and I hope the senders wouldn't mind as I believe their experience will definitely strike a chord with many people out there. Learning a language can at times be demoralising. For that, it is reassuring to know that we are afterall not alone. Thanks for sending me the mails.

마음말1

"Equinox,

I have recently been reading your "Mountain and Field" blog which I found very insightful. For a while now, I have been aspiring to learn any East Asian language (considering in general they are miles away from English), but I have not been able to maintain my motivation long enough to gain any strong foothold I can work on. It doesn't help that my life is currently quite turbulent at the moment.

In truth I took a peek at Korean, and then decided to see how much I could gain from learning Japanese. After that didn't quite work out, I decided to try something a bit more European, so for fun I checked out Esperanto. But sadly, that didn't really work out either. I guess I cannot keep my head in one place for too long! :(

Your blog has actually made me more interested in learning Korean again. But I fear that interest could quickly wane again if I take the non-risk route and try and self-teach myself in my spare time (which I tried to do previously). Perhaps I need to take the plunge and participate in a more intensive Korean course in Korea. In any case, I look forward to hearing more about your progress in learning Hangeul & Chinese in the future. :)

Regards "


마음말2

"Hi Equinox,

I chanced upon your blog when I was searching for free online resources for learning the Korean language. Like yourself, I am very interested in learning this language. The striking difference is that you had taken many steps to make mastering the language a reality. The process of going through NUS Extension and going to a Korean Uni for a crash course were all options I had considered but fell apart due to other commitments.

Well, I took baby steps last Spring too when I enrolled in a beginners course at the Korean Cultural Center in LA. I am now based in LA. I hope to be in touch with a fellow Singaporean and hopefully we can motivate each other to learn this language. I hope to be able to take small steps to reach your level soon. Hope to hear from you.

Cheers"

No comments:

Post a Comment