Saturday, May 19, 2007

취미는 쇼핑하기야

"쇼핑하다" (shopping) is the very first few action verbs that we learn in our Korean language class. Due our limited vocabulary at the start, we tend to use "쇼핑하다" a lot in our reply to our teacher's questions.

Teacher: 주말에 뭐 하셨어요? (What did you do during weekend?)
Student: 쇼핑했어요. (I went shopping.)

Teacher: 수업이 끝난 다음에 뭐 하고싶어요? (What do you want to do after class?)
Student: 쇼핑하고 싶어요. (I want to go to shopping.)

Teacher: 취미가 뭐예요? (What is your hobby?)
Student: 쇼핑하기예요. (My hobby is shopping.)


Just some photos below to show the shopping experience in Seoul and why it is important to introduce "shopping" as the first few Korean words :)

Shinsegae (신세개, 新世界, New World) is the Korean equivalent of Takashimaya. An upmarket shopping chain with goods sold at prices that are largely out-of-reach for ordinary folk like me. Frankly, I have not walked through its revolving door but I also don't think there is a need for it.

The name of the shop says it all. But one cannot be a shopaholic in places like Apgujeong unless he or she has a deep pocket. I like to admire at those nice and classy shophouses in Apgujeong. But again I find myself out of place in such an upmarket district.

This is a place where you will more likely to find me. There is more variety of goods at the street bazaar. Prices are at affordable range. The crowd and atmosphere also suit me well. I can recommend street bazaars at Myeongdong, I-dae and Hongdae.

No comments:

Post a Comment