Wednesday, April 16, 2008

봄행

The day I left Seoul for Busan, I arrived at Seoul Station at about noon. I bought a KTX ticket for 47,900won (S$68) and rode the next train to Busan. The journey took exactly 3 hours. Everything seemed so easy and swift but yet it took me a long time, since my last visit, to finally return to Busan.

Busan Station. Doesn't look very different from Seoul Station.

My hotel wasn't far from Busan Station. Actually, it was only two subway stations away, near to Nampodong (남포동, 南浦洞). Nampodong is Busan's equivalent of Seoul's Myeongdong, though not as happening. Since I was feeling a bit nostalgic, I decided that I should take the subway. The cheapest subway fare in Busan is 1,100won and that is 100won more expensive than Seoul. There is also no manned ticket counter in Busan so ticket purchase has to be made through the ticketing machines. Another thing special about Busan subway is that announcements are made in Korean, English, Mandarin and Japanese. That's four languages compared to Seoul which uses only Korean and English. As I was coming out of Nampodong Station, the air was filled with fishy smell that probably originated from the nearby Jalgachi Market. In that instance, I felt a sense of closeness to the sea and indeed I was very close.

After checking in, it was almost evening time and I just had enough time to roam the streets of Nampodong. Places which I covered include the Gwangbongno (광복로, 光復路) Fashion Street, PIFF Plaza and Jalgachi Market. My dinner that evening was Krispy Kreme donuts. I heard a lot about this brand of donuts but have never tried them in Seoul as there was always long queue. I don't believe in queuing and alternative like Dunkin' Donuts is equally fine with me. The Krispy Kreme branch at Nampodong was not crowded, so I thought I should give it a try. Guess what? Before I even made my order, I was given one free original glazed donut. I was not the only one who got free donut, in fact the staff was distributing free donuts to every customers. I ate my free donut and it was so soft that it almost melt in my mouth. Next, I bought three donuts and I got another free original glazed donut. So all in all, I ate five donuts that night. Krispy Kreme has definitely left me with a very good first impression.

Fashion boutiques at Gwangbongno Fashion Street.


I love free Krispy Kreme original glazed donuts.


PIFF means Pusan International Film Festival. The film festival is usually held in October. Without the film festival, the PIFF plaza is just another walking street with shops, stalls and eateries. There are also quite a number of cinemas.


Two Chinese movies. 포비든킹덤 is a translation of its English title "Forbidden Kingdom". 삼국지 is a translation of its Chinese title "三国志". Korean is complicated, isn't it? By the way, Jackie Chan is called Seongyong (성용) here, a direct translation of his Chinese name 成龍.


Fishery port behind the Jalgachi Market. Fishing vessels are berthed alongside with the Busan Bridge as the backdrop. Though you may not be able to see it, seagulls were flying over the water surface.


A stainless steel sculpture of sea creatures seen outside Jalgachi Market.

No comments:

Post a Comment