Monday, November 27, 2006

연어를 좋아해요?

Our teacher was preparing us for the meeting with Ms Yang Mi Gyeong (양미경-梁美京), the elegant Korean actress who acted as Han Sang Kung (한상궁-韓尙宮) in the Korean drama, "Jewel in the Palace". Part of the preparation was to anticipate questions that would be asked by Ms Yang. One of the questions that we had to prepare an answer for was the ever popular "왜 한국어를 공부해요?" (Why do you study Korean language?)

To ensure that we were capable of taking the questions asked by Ms Yang, our teacher rehearsed the whole process of asking and answering with every student. When it came to my turn, our teacher asked, "왜 한국어를 공부해요?"

"연어 배우기를 좋아하니까 한국어를 공부하고 있어요." I replied.

"뭐라고요?" Our teacher was puzzled by my answer.

"연어, language 아니에요?" I attempted to clarify

"연어 is salmon. Language is 언어." Our teacher corrected me in her signature "intimidating" way.

What I intended to say was that I like learning language(언어) therefore I am studying Korean. However, I ended up saying I like learning salmon(연어) therefore I am studying Korean. It was an embarassing moment but "연어 is salmon" would forever stick in my mind. Not too bad, besides 참치(Tuna), now I know 연어(Salmon).

As in all learning process, making mistakes and realising the mistake made is the surest way to improve. I have no problem looking silly. In fact I enjoy doing silly things. I thought that's what made the learning process interesting. I enjoy every moment of my Korean language lessons and I treasure all those stupid moments.

I remember a documentary that I have watched. A Japanese Akido's grandmaster was asked to describe to what level does he think he has reached in his Akido's mastery . He replied, "I am just a beginner." Perhaps that is what I should be everyday - a beginner . . . in Korean language learning. Not to be a grandmaster but to be like a beginner, ever eager to learn new things everyday.

6 comments:

  1. The teacher's "signature intimidating way" is still vividly playing in my mind occasionally, and I miss every bits of our Korean language learning moment....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesmaru, I see that you like to be "intimidated" don't you? ㅋㅋ

    ReplyDelete
  3. new word of the day :연어
    usage:"왜터! 연어 스태크 하나 주세요"
    profanity usage: "You! You 연어 you!"

    Hmm....yes...I misss classes too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who taught you that? Bad Aini. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. 귀여운 실수네요^^ 교실 분위기를 아주 화기애애하게 만들어주는 실수죠 ㅎㅎ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Song 씨, 외국어를 배울 때 비슷한 실수를 만들었어요? ^^

    ReplyDelete