Sunday, October 28, 2007

사과 및 사과

[Photo Credit: Chosunilbo, 조선일보, 朝鮮日報]

October 24 is "Apple Day" or 사과 날 in Korea. This day was introduced in 2002 and is now into its sixth year. The main objective of Apple Day is to encourage making of apology, through using apple as a means, to seek forgiveness and reconciliation. Coincidentally, apple and apology are both written as "사과" (pronounced "sa-gwa") and hence the natural linkage between the two words. Apparently, not many Koreans buy apple during Apple Day to make apology as much as they would buy chocolate or sweets during Valentine's Day and White Day.

I believe affections as well as misunderstandings have their fair share of our lives. While it may sometimes be difficult to say you like someone, it maybe more difficult to say, I am sorry. Saying out "I am sorry" doesn't take a second of our time but when emotion is attached to it, it can be a mountain to climb. To be exact there are two mountains to climb. Firstly, it is always not so clear-cut who is right or wrong but there is a natural tendency in people to believe I am right and others are wrong. If people think that they are right, rationally, apology will not cross their minds and misunderstanding persists. Secondly, for those people who are ready to offer apology, pride and ego are the next hurdle that stand in the way. People tend to wait for others to apologise first before apologising themselves. If we do believe so much in upkeeping our pride and ego then it will be difficult for anyone to make the first move. As a result, misunderstanding gains a firmer foothold in our lives.

In reality, no one is fully right or wrong and pride and ego are not really worth that much than we think they are. It is mere foolishness and ignorance of human beings that misunderstanding persists and happiness curbs. In Chinese, "sa-gwa" sounds like “傻瓜" or fool (바보). Perhaps if I may, I would like to add that besides offering each other an apple as an apology, we should eat the apple to remind ourselves that we have to be fools to even start the misunderstanding. The world will definitely be a better place if there are less misunderstanding and more understanding. For a long time, we have nothing in form to represent a sincere apology. Apple Day will definitely make this world a better place to live in if everyone can celebrate it with earnest like Valentive's Day. Afterall, in life it is not just love but also forgiveness that we need to learn.


P.S. Singaporeans are known to utter "I am sorry" without much hesitation for the fact that we tends to be late than punctual. Noted an expatriate, "I am sorry" is a very Singaporean way of saying "Hello, how are you?". From his observation, the first sentence a Singaporean will likely to say is, "I am sorry, I am late.". That being the case, I think I should organise more gathering and meeting and as a rule makes those late-comers buy apple as a form of apology. From the apples collected, I should be able to set up a fruit stall very soon. ㅎㅎㅎ

4 comments:

  1. Hi I read your posts regarding "3 weeks in KHU" wow...that's really a very good experience, I really envy you haha! I want to learn Korean language too...as a beginner...do you still recommend NUS Extension? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg, that's so true! Singaporeans use "I'm sorry" waaay too much. I find myself saying it all the time when I bump into people accidentally =X

    This is my first time hearing about 사과날. It's an interesting concept, really. And it should be more encouraged, coz after all, valentine's day and peppero day are rather overrated.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laine, I am not too sure how Korean lessons are conducted these days in NUS Extension after our teacher, Ms Ebony Bae, who started the Korean language program left. During my time at NEX, I see myself learning a Korean experience. In SKS, I see myself learning a Korean language. NEX and SKS are good in their own ways. If you can wait, I may write about these two institutions later.

    Cheryl, you need to open your eyes while walking. Not very nice to keep bumping into people ㅋㅋㅋ
    Agree with you that valentine's day and peppero day are overrated. There are many more things to life than just love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Equinox, sure....I'll wait for your posts on that topic :) anyway.. NEX don't have a weekend course anymore for this year... I will have to wait for next year's schedules. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete