Sunday, December 10, 2006

공부해야 하는 나

I was at Jonggak station (정각역-鐘閣驛) and on my way to Cheonggyecheon (청계천-淸溪川) when I accidentally came across two mega bookstores in Korea, the Bandi & Luni's and Yongpyeon. I just could not help but stop to take a look at these bookstores. It took me a few hours to roam the bookstores though. They are "mind-boggling" huge to say the least. Living in a country where assessment books probably out-sell any other books, it is hard to imagine that a mega bookstore concept is going to take off in Singapore any time soon.

One of those things that I did in Bandi & Luni's was to look for Korean Language textbooks. I managed to find a series of textbooks published by the Language Education Institute of the Seoul National University under the foreign book section. Each volume of texbook cost 15,000won(S$25). The workbook cost another 13,000won(S$21.50). It was not that expensive considering that one textbook is supposed to be used for 200 hours of instruction or 10 weeks of lesson. For some reasons, I did not buy any of the textbooks. Perhaps, it was because of the fever that I was having then.

By the time I was out from Jonggak station it was already late afternoon. The late summer sun had lost its mid-day rage and it was cooling walking along Cheonggyecheon.

A month later, back in Singapore, a friend who just came back from Seoul lent me her SNU's Korean language textbook volume 3. She said that her Korean language level was not good enough to use the textbook yet. She probably has over-estimated my language standard as well. As written in the textbook, it is meant for adult learners who have a knowledge of Korean with about 400 hours of classroom time or the equivalent. Adding up all the formal Korean language lesson time I have, I am not even meeting half of the classroom time required by the textbook.

Nevertheless, without any more Korean lessons to attend, this textbook has been quite useful in maintaining my learning tempo. My electronic dictionary has also been very helpful in breaching the knowledge gap. For my next Korean trip, more of these language books shall be on the top of my buying list.

7 comments:

  1. Hopefully your next Korea trip is anytime soon, don't forget to get me one of those text books too when you're there! 히히

    ReplyDelete
  2. 한국에 다시 가면 교과서를 사세요.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A question: which textbook do you use in Singapore? Do the teachers bring Korean textbooks from universities in Seoul there?

    I found all textbooks printed by universities good but there are too many things to do, too many activities that are not very proper for students who study elsewhere than in those universtities...

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Yesmaru: Sure, just leave your order, I will try to lug them back for you.

    To Spicebears: I will definitely remember to buy the textbooks the next time I go Korea. Just hope that I don't get feverish again.

    To Song: We are using the textbooks published by Sogang Universtiy. You are right, some of the activities in the textbook are not appropriate to us. Even if they are appropriate we will not have time to do them because we only have 2.5 hours of lesson per week. So we ended up practising just on the conversation, passage reading and listening. Somehow I just wish we can have more time to do some of the activities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sogang's textbook... Yeah, Sogang Uni. has gained a good fame for its conversation-based teaching method and well published textbook. And they really focuses on 'everyday-language - what native Korean really speak. But as u said too many activities - and too many homework! Everybody who studied at Sogang told me that. (Just imagine; you're studying at a 10-week-intensive-course, having classes for 4 hours per day during the weekday. And then you must struggle with all those homeworks after class... Isn't it wonderful? Hehe~)
    What would you say if you compare Kyoung Hee's textbook and Sogang's? Which one is better?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used Kyung Hee Uni textbooks when i studied in my first school and Sogang textbooks when i studied in my 2nd school. Both texts are good but personally, i find KHU texts are more grammer-based whereas Sogang texts are more conversation-based. I wouldnt say which is better cos each has its own strength.

    Song, did you mention lots of homework in Sogang? Hmmm ... it sounds good ... ㅋㅋㅋ

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it will be wonderful to be able to take up the 10-week intensive course. I don't think it is going to be a struggle as I have had it worse as a Science undergraduate. Over 30 hours a week plus lot of laboratory reports to complete over the weekend.

    Frankly, I can't compare the two textbooks as I have not really studied into the Kyunghee textbook.

    ReplyDelete