Thursday, October 11, 2007

지금 땡땡이 치고 있다

I just feel like loafing now though I should be preparing for KLPT. Perhaps, I shall immerse myself into KLPT preparation again for a good two weeks starting from next week. It is a pity that I cannot continue with Advanced level 2 course at SKS in this semester but I am likely to miss a lot of lessons if I am to sign up for the course. This is the first time in 2 years that I have chosen to give up on a chance to study Korean. Every chance to study Korean in Singapore is precious to me but with all the constraints, I guess my study will have to wait until the next semester. Meanwhile, I am not about to loaf around everyday and by the way, today is an exception. I am actually quite excited about the things that will be happening in the next two months but I am not divulging anything yet. Perhaps, I may share it as things unfold themselves.

Three weeks ago, my last TOPIK class ended our semester with a gathering at Su (수-秀) Korean Restaurant located at Far East Plaza Basement 1. It was supposed to be a treat by our teacher, Ms Min Yeon-hyeon, but it ended up as a treat from us to her. It was a hilarious moment when we "threatened" the female boss of the restaurant that we would not bring our family or friends to her restaurant in future if she was to accept our teacher's money. Of course, we got our way at the end and to the relief of the female boss who was caught in a dilemma for a long while. During the gathering, someone asked our teacher where she would recommend in Korea to study Korean language. She started by stating that Yonsei is among the first few universities to offer Korean language courses but because it has a long history in teaching Korean language, its teaching method is also quite antiquated. She recommended Kyunghee as she finds that its teaching methodology has kept pace with time. I must qualify that our teacher is doing a part-time Masters in Korean language at Kyunghee so there may be some possibility of biasness.

Our teacher went on to say that many foreign students self-funded their study in Korea by giving English or Chinese tuition after school every day. In fact, a language tuition teacher can earn more than a normal company employee. Almost every other Korean students need an English tuition teacher so the demand is always there. This piece of information sounds reassuring for any Singaporean who want to study Korean in Korea but are afraid of their livelihood. If Americans, Canadians, Britons can earn a living by teaching English in Korea, there is no doubt that Singaporeans can do likewise if not better since some Singaporeans are effectively bilingual. In addition, we can throw in teaching Singlish for free ^^;;

6 comments:

  1. No, thats not really true. Most Koreans prefer English native speakers as their English teacher. Its so difficult to secure a part-time English teaching job here unless its a recommendation from a friend or friend's friend etc. Even if an Asian has Masters, PhD etc., the qualification doesn't really matter to the Koreans.
    And on top of that, Asian gets lesser for the same kind of teaching job. I'm speaking from my experience here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I assume you are a Singaporean. It is not surprising that Koreans prefer native English teachers just like Singaporeans prefer native Koreans to teach them Korean.

    But I still believe Singaporeans can do well. Koreans have come to recognise the value of the Singapore Education system. That is why the number of Korean students being sent to Singapore to study is on the rise. We, being product of our education system, should not fare any worse than any English native speakers.

    I think Singaporeans should first believe in their worth and to prove to the Koreans that English teachers from Singapore are as good if not better than English native speakers. Of course, if Koreans like to acquire the American twang, that is a totally different story altogether.

    I believe the fact that Asians get lesser for the same kind of teaching job is largely because they ask for less in the first place. I maybe making an assumption here but I do think that Asian English teachers generally do not think that they are as good as the English native teachers. If they think they are not as good, it is only natural that they ask for lesser fee.

    I have trust in Singaporeans doing well as a English teacher in Korea. English is our first language. We grown up with this language unlike other Asian countries. Furthermore we are very good at preparing for test and that is perhaps what many Koreans learn English for - to pass test like TOEIC , TOEFL, etc so that they get better job prospect.

    I trust what you have written and it is definitely not as easy as what I have written in jest. Koreans may not have yet come to recognise the worth of English teachers from Singapore because there are not many around anyway. But I believe Singapore English teachers can do well and I hope you doing well now.

    And don't forget to introduce me students if I ever need to earn a living in Seoul. ^^;;

    ReplyDelete
  3. Equinox.. as sound as you make your arguments, the first dude is correct. I'm strongly proud of my English abilities but nothing can change the reality of my skin colour (which is.. erm, yellow? plainly speaking, not white or black, the preferred options). Likewise, speaking from personal experience here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very sorry that I may sound like I am "arguing" in my earlier comment. I may have tried too hard to see things from a different perspective. Nevertheless, nothing is more real than reality and that is what matters most. Thank you for your comment. Hope you are doing fine as well in Seoul despite the challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mostly they (koreans) are "looking for native english teacher". That term is very misleading since their definition of "native speaker" is someone who looks like "mat soleh".

    But it doesn't mean your opportunity to teach english is limited. Just walk in Shinchon, Hongdae, or Daehangno, speak english to people that strolling around there and you can tell their english ability is limited. They need english education and all mat soleh in itaewon are not enough to teach them, there are many spaces for SE Asians.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I would like to believe what you say is right but I also believe biasness is prevalent whether we like it or not. Of course, there are spaces for SE Asians but it will still be slightly more difficult to get a teaching job in Korea as compared to "mat soleh". I hope one day my belief can be proven wrong.

    ReplyDelete