Monday, December 25, 2006

러브레터

"Love Letter" like "Il Mare" is not easily comprehensible. These are two of the few movies that I watched twice in the cinema. I cannot understand their plots easily not because they are foreign language films but because their plots are very subtle. But once I understood them, they just overwhelmed me.

I last watched "Love Letter" quite some time back. I was reminded about this Japanese movie when it came out in the Sogang textbook which I used for my Korean language lesson. So it seems that this movie is also popular in Korea.

Would I want to know about something which I could no longer change or is it better to remain ignorant? But sometimes, as the movie put it, it may not be a matter of choice. It can still find it way to you since you are related to it even though you may not be aware of it. The dilemma of life is that if you own something, be prepared to lose it. But if you have nothing to start with, there is nothing to lose and be sad about. That is why I believe that sometimes ignorance is bliss.

The best part I like about "Love Letter" is its ending. I was moved by it then. The ending is probably everything about this movie. However, now that I watch the ending in isolation, I am hardly moved by it. It goes to show that the movie must be watched in its totality in order to appreciate its ending.

I have posted a video for those who have watched the movie and like to be reminded of its ending. But for those who have never watched "Love Letter", you may not want to watch the video. Because once you know the ending you probably will not appreciate the movie as much.



6 comments:

  1. Like the ending for Il Mare and My Sassy Girl, i found the ending for Love Letter overwhelming too. If i were Hiroko, i would rather be ignorant. Having said that, not all igorance is bliss. Only some ignorance is bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm...should i watch this? think think think think

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Equinox,

    I remember watching this movie more than 6 years ago. It was introduced by a DJ over a radio station. I like this movie too, but some of my friends find it rather boring. Guess one of the reasons why I was attracted to your blog is because we have things in common like "Love Letter", "I1 Mare" which not many will appreciate..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aini, I think you wil watch it eventually, and please endure the heartbreak....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi everyone, its so nice to know that you too like the movie like I do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. tHIS IS THE BEST MOVIE i HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE I DARE TO SAY.

    ReplyDelete