Wednesday, July 18, 2007

학비가 비싸졌다

Korean courses at NUS Extension are getting so expensive these days after the latest fee adjustment. The latest round of fee increases were meant to offset the "significant increase" in operating and rental costs, so said the NUS Extension. I guess the price hike is inevitable since the Singapore property market are getting red hot again. It also doesn't help that Park Mall building belongs to one of those Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) out there. If the REIT shareholders are going to earn 5% return on their investment every year, the rental cost at Park Mall and eventually the course fee at NEX will have to escalate at more than 5% every year. I started my first Korean course at NEX in Oct 2005 paying only $320. Within two years, the course fee has increased by $100 more to $420. That is about 15% increase in course fee every year. I still prefer lesson at NEX but with the runaway course fee I may drop the idea of going back to NEX completely.

This is not the Park Mall building where NUS Extension is located. This is I'Park Mall at Yongsan, Seoul.

5 comments:

  1. oh yes, i fully agree abt the price hike! when i started level 1 in sept 06, i only paid $365. it has now risen to $420!! thank goodness i'll complete level 6 by this year. i think the price will increase again in the next half year.. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fee increase iIs not just for the Korean course but across the board for all of NUS Extension's courses.
    Well, you are at the last level right ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness, I completed my level 6 last year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too. I completed level 6 in March. I just applied for post - advance - but if they are going to increase it more and more in the future, I will think about it again.

    But I miss going for classes.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing much we can do right? 할 수 없죠 :(

    ReplyDelete