Monday, July 16, 2007

벌써 1주년이다

Today is the first anniversary of this blog but I can do without the bells and whistles. I will write about my thoughts over this one year at a later time. As you can see I am keeping to short posting these days as I am still quite busy for the time-being. By the way, tomorrow is Korea's Constitution Day so there won't be any lesson tomorrow night at Singapore Korean School. The teachers and staff at SKS seem to have the best of both worlds. Regardless of whether it is a Singapore or Korea's public holiday, it is an off-day for them. Apparently, from 2008 onwards, July 17 will no longer be a public holiday in Korea. How sad. Anyway I am still quite relieve that there is no lesson tomorrow because I still owe my teacher a 300-words composition - in Korean of course. My teacher warned me that I need to start practising my writing or I will find it difficult to pass the writing section of TOPIK. No wonder I only see six pathetic souls in the TOPIK class. As they say, no pain no gain.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Equinox,

    congrats on the 1st anniversary of yr blog.. hehe. :P

    anw, i was just wondering. the advanced 2 at SKS is equivalent to what level in korea? assuming that one goes for the 3 mth programme.

    thx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jean,

    Advanced 2 and Advanced 3 at SKS are equivalent to level 4 in Korea.

    Intermediate 2 and Advanced 1 at SKS are equivalent to level 3 in Korea.

    Elementary 3 and Intermediate 1 at SKS are equivalent to level 2 in Korea.

    For students who have completed level 6 at NEX, the right level to continue Korean learning at SKS is Intermediate 2. However, that will really depend on one's placement test result.

    When you study in Korea, it is better to start one level lower. As you know, the time we spend in Singapore to complete one level is much lesser than what it takes to complete one level in Korea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh, icic. i'm actually planning to head over to korea 1.5 mths earlier so that i can get in 2 sems(6mths) worth of korean lessons @ Yonsei.

    from what i've heard, apparently i'll get to start from level 3 if i've managed to complete NUS Ext's level 6. but that again depends on the results of the placement test.

    is the standard the same for all the universities korean language institutes? i.e: level 2 at yonsei = level 2 at kyung hee?

    thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Different uni have different emphasis although all uni language institutes generally follow a 6-level curriculum. I don't really know if level 2 at yonsei can equate to level 2 at kyunghee. However from what I was told, students may have to drop one level if they move from one uni to another. This shows that there is probably some difference.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on yr blog's 1st anniversary ! And thx for adding my blog to yr list !

    SKS has Advanced 3 now ? I'm so out of touch.

    If u go by number of hours, 6 x 25 hours at NUS = 150, then divide by 40 (being no. of hours per course at SKS), is 3.75. So Intermed 2 at SKS after 6 levels at NUS seems about right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Advanced 3 is not actually a new course. It is the same as previous Advanced 2.

    Though Intermediate 2 may seem right. NEX students may more likely to end up in elementary 3.

    ReplyDelete