Saturday, January 06, 2007

상해의 야경

The Oriental Pearl TV Tower (东方明珠广播电视塔) is an unmistakable landmark of Shanghai. The two ball-like structures have lights that changes colour like over-sized disco balls set against the nightsky of Pudong. Fronted by the Huangpu River, the Oriental Pearl TV Tower looks picture-perfect. I took many pictures of it but very few turned out well. Probably, my idiot-proof camera's limitation has been reached while trying to take the night pictures.

Darkness arrives early during winter and at about half past four, the night of Shanghai has begun. On 27 Dec, I went for a walk along the Bund (外滩). The night was starting to feel chilly. Wind was blowing and my exposed hands were feeling numb. Nevertheless, I enjoyed my evening stroll under the cold weather. I thought it would have be better if it has snowed. I found it weird that Shanghai people were wearing thicker clothing than me. I should be more afraid of coldness as the country where I come from has a perpetual summer.

A taxi driver told me that Shanghai has a lot of water but no mountain. I find it hard to believe that there can be a place in China that has no mountain. However, I witness it for myself on top of the Ferris wheel. There is really no mountain in sight except high-rise buildings. Since there is only water in Shanghai, the best place to see it is at the Huangpu River. I heard a lot about the Huangpu River from Hong Kong drama serials. Like all rivers that run through city, I thought they would have a lot of stories to tell if they can speak.

I was at Pudong on 31 Dec. Arrived there at 5pm but waited until 6:30 pm for the building lights over at the Bund to be switched on. It seemed that any reputable commercial brand would want to have a piece of action at both sides of and on the Huangpu River. A river cruise sailed past with a very huge LED display panel mounted on it. Commercials were run continuously through the display. With so many brightly-lit signboards competing for people attention, the nightsky of Shanghai was brillantly lighted up.


5 comments:

  1. Wow. did you take those photos yourself? Impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree no more. And, the narration is detailed. I like it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 사진 정말 잘 찍으셨네요^^ 저는 상해 가서 야경 찍은 사진 중에 잘 나온 것이 한 장도 없는데 ㅋㅋㅋ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aini, Yesmaru and Song, 고마워요 ^^

    Aini, I took the photos myself.

    Yesmaru, you should experience it for yourself to have more "details" =)

    Song, I agree with you that it is difficult to take night photos. So I was just clicking away until I got a good shot. It helps that camera is now digital. I need not burn a hole im my pocket to develop all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 와! 사진들이 예쁘네요! 잘 찍었어요!

    ReplyDelete