Saturday, December 29, 2007

열차가 들어오고 있습니다

지금 수서, 수서행 열차가 들어오고 있습니다... 열차가 곧 출발합니다
(Now Suseo, Suseo-bound train is entering... The train is leaving soon)

Listening to the announcement in the subway station is a good way of measuring how I have progress in my Korean language learning. I started from not understanding, to guessing, to understanding and to be able to repeat what was announced. The change is gradual but I can notice small improvement each time I visit Seoul. I have yet to fully understood everything that is broadcast but it is always good to know that I am at least making improvement.

I am not the only one that is improving, it seems like all underground stations in Seoul are also improving. Many stations are now covered up with automatic doors while many other stations are undergoing renovation to fix up panelling and automatic doors. Perhaps the day of open underground station in Seoul is coming to an end soon. Though I am quite used to covered-up underground station, I think I am going to miss the feeling of cold air sweeping past me as train enters an open underground station in Seoul.

The underground stations in Seoul are slowly being covered up like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment