Wednesday, December 12, 2007

북경의 둘째날

Chilling out inside Haagen Dazs cafe at Zhongguanchun on a Saturday.

I didn't have anything in particular to do in Beijing. I have been to the Forbidden City, the Summer Palace and the Great Wall. I guess I have seen all that I wanted to see in my last Beijing trip two years ago. Last Saturday morning, at the Chongwenmen station, I came across a poster promoting a Chinese comedy play. I thought watching a play on a Saturday suited my mood quite well. So I made a trip down to Zhongguanchun in the afternoon in search of the Haidian Theatre - the venue where the play would be staged.

When I finally reached the Haidian Theatre at around 3pm, I was told by the ticketing staff that they have only one 380-yuan ticket left for that Saturday evening performance. I must have been very lucky, I thought and without hesitation, I confirmed my seat. After I bought my ticket, I have about 4 hours to waste before the play starts at 7:30pm.

As I was wandering about in Zhongguanchun, a district well-known for its many IT and electronics malls, I came across Megabox and decided to watch a movie. I was quite surprised to see Megabox in Beijing. Megabox is one of those three major multiplex operators in Korea. The other two being CJ CGV and Lotte Cinema. I have always like Megabox multiplex interior design though I have yet to watch a movie in Megabox in Seoul. Since time permits, I bought a ticket for a Chinese comedy at 45 yuan (S$9). Yes, it was one comedy show after another. A really wonderful day for me.

Megabox at Zhongguanchun. The light and reflection are very nice.

The Chinese comedy which I watched. Quite a decent local production.

After the movie, I made my way to Haidian Theatre. Along the road, the aroma of roasted sweet potato was so irresistible that I could not help but bought one for my dinner from one of those make-shift stalls. That one sweet potato which I bought from an old man cost me only S$0.10. I actually felt sorry for the old man. I would have paid 2 yuan willingly if he has asked me. I must say I ate that sweet potato with a heavy heart. I felt like I have "exploited" that old man. It seems like paying for thing this cheap is no longer acceptable to me.

A comedy but no one is allowed to laugh. Sound interesting isn't it?

It has been a long long time since I last watched a Chinese play. Watching the play brought back many fond memories of my play-acting days. Stage fright was really nothing. Play performance was a rather addictive activity. The light, the sound, the applause and the sense of togetherness and accomplishment were those things that kept us going on and on.

At the end of the play, I suddenly have this itch to act again but I thought that was an impulse of the moment which would fade sooner than I knew it. Anyway, the play was very very entertaining. So much laughter that 2 hours have went passed without me noticing it. What a great Saturday!

4 comments:

  1. You were a stage actor? Wow!..hmmm.....I am learning a bit more about our favourite kerokeropi everyday.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. *^^*
    btw what is kerokeropi eh, i only know keropok, keke...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kero Keroppi is a Japanese Frog character. Your green frog picture looks like him - perhaps it's him. Check it out at this LINK . Get to know your Keroppi family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 그렇구나... ㅋㅋㅋ
    알았어 :D

    ReplyDelete