Monday, August 13, 2007

한국어 공부하는 게 힘들어

Studying Korean in Singapore is difficult. There are very few institutions here which offer serious lessons on Korean language. Even NUS Extension and Singapore Korean School, which offer decent Korean language courses, are both inadequate in their own ways. I like NEX's Korean Language Programme because lessons were fun-filled and engaging. However, until today, NEX will only offer elementary-level Korean language courses. The wait for its intermediate-level courses seems like forever. While SKS offers intermediate-level courses, such courses are in low demand and infrequent. Furthermore, one can expect nothing more than a typical classroom lesson.

Two Saturdays back, I went back to NEX to submit my registration form for KLPT 2 (Intermediate) workshop. The lesson is supposed to start last Saturday but I received an e-mail last week to inform me that the course is postponed. If my gut-feel is correct, KLPT 2 workshop is most likely going to be cancelled. I have anticipated that the take-up rate is not going to be good anyway because I have done a straw poll earlier and not a single student in the "Post-Advanced" Korean course was interested in taking KLPT. If they are not interested, there is dimmer hope to expect other students to sign up for the KLPT 2 workshop. I hope to be proven wrong but I am already prepared to do self-study for the coming KLPT. To do that, I bought the KLPT Intermediate preparation book from NEX for $45 after submitting my registration form.

Just to see thing on the bright side, I have just saved myself $400 course fee. Furthermore, I can rest on Saturday afternoon instead of attending class. To see a little bit further, thing may get even better for Korean language learning in Singapore if the rumour that NUS is setting up a Centre for Korean Language next year is true.

7 comments:

  1. That's the feeling I had after completing my last lesson at SKS. That was what prompted me to start a group to look for other Singaporeans learning Korean. Since then, I have been waiting for more people to reach the higher levels of Korean learning. Guess in tiny Singapore, it isn't easy to find a critical mass for higher level Korean. I'm grateful that at least Singapore became a Topik test centre in 2005.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh. i do hope that NUS sets up a centre for Korean Language! where and from who did u hear it from?? :)

    한국어를 열심이 공부해요. 꼭!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seo Yeong, it seems that the situation has not gotten any better after 2 years or I would not have felt what you felt previously. Sincerely I think "Spotlight" should put you on its cover after Chen Liyi for what you have done for the Korean language learning community in Singapore though I think this is not what you are looking for. I believe the satisfaction of your effort comes from knowing that many people share the same interest as you.

    Jean, as I said it is a rumour. Just take it that I heard from the "wind". I will definitely study to the best of my ability. Thanx ^^v

    ReplyDelete
  4. That NUS develops a Korean language department shld come as a natural progression. A couple of months back, I saw an ad in the Sat Appointments pages for a Korean professor/lecturer.

    What is 'Spotlight' ? a magazine or programme ?

    Waah, Equinox never met me but Googled me pretty extensively and can read me rather well ! 진짜 잘 해요!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spotlight is a magazine published for the Korean community in Singapore.

    I didn't google you that much. I just read your blog la. Whoever is learning Korean actively in Singapore will likely come across your blog anyway. Since you also told me about Tour2korea forum I also went in to take a look. Like that know you lor. By the way, what make you so sure I never meet you eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alamak, we met and I forget you ? paiseh ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. No lah, we never meet before. I was just only pulling your leg :p

    ReplyDelete