Sunday, October 08, 2006

제2회 한국어 말아기 대회

In the 2nd Korean Language Speech Contest held at RELC International Hotel auditorium yesterday, NUS Extension students won three out of the six prizes. Siah Wen Qiu won the second prize (there are two second prizes) for his topic on "의미 있는 만남과 한국어 공부". Jean Teo and Wong Er-Kai both won the third prize (there are three third prizes). Their topics were "일본에서 만난 한국" and "한국어를 공부하기 전과 후의 다른 점" respectively. Jean was also a receiver of a surprise award from Asiana Airline. Because of her touching presentation, Asiana decided to give her a free air ticket to Korea to meet her '오빠'. I thought that was a very nice gesture by Asiana. For that, my next flight to Korea will be on Asiana.

Out of the 19 participants, 9 were from NUS Extension, 7 from Singapore Korean School and 2 from Community Centre. For the second time, NUS Ext students did not manage to come in first. The first prize went to Ho Li Ming who recalled her fond memories about Korea with her topic: "한국에서의 소중한 추억"(Treasured memory of Korea). It seemed that she was a clear winner from the start. She was fluent and at ease on stage. Anyway, my teacher was jubilant about the outcome. She wrote in her e-mail to all the particpants after the contest, "I am so proud of you! GOOOOOD JOB!!!!!! 잘 했어요!!!! It was one of the best day in my career and I was so excited to see the hard work of all 19 students. Today is my birthday and I told my husband that this is one of the best gift and I won't forget it! . . ."

The event was well organised and I truly enjoyed my afternoon. There was perk for being an audience at the contest. Lucky draw was held and Korean food vouchers between $50 and $100 were given away. We were also entertained by Korean singer, 이안, while waiting for the judges to make their decision on the winners. Not forgetting the interesting presentation put up by the 19 participants. 잘 했어요, 짱!

10 comments:

  1. To all the participants, cheers to your passion towards the Korean culture and language, I admire all of your hardwork and courage to go up to the stage!

    Equinox 씨, when will be your next trip to Korea with Asiana Airlines? ^^
    (Will other airlines have the same compassionate and romantic gesture? Maybe not...:p)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice write up and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Yesmaru, when is my next trip to Korea? Maybe after the 모기 go into 'hibernation' and the temperature start to go down. ^^

    To Aini, no, the first prize winner is not from NEX.

    To Anony, I am glad to know that you like my post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have never failed to impress me with your write-ups and pictures. Well done for this posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya, agree with Spicebears. Keep it coming, Equinox! Beside eat, sleep, "studying Korean", I follow your blog everyday! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for being an ardent supporter of my blog. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Equinox. It was a pleasant surprise to see a write up on the Speech Contest i took part in 6 years ago. I was the one who spoke about the "의미 있는 만남과 한국어 공부". It was an eventful day. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi WQ, it is a pleasant surprise you found your way here. Luckily, I did not write anything bad about you. I really enjoyed myself that day :)

    ReplyDelete