Wednesday, June 25, 2008

계단

This is the 40-Steps Stairway (계단, 階段) found somewhere in Busan Central (중구, 中區). There is a sculpture of an old man playing accordion seated at the halfway point. The stairway is meant as a reminder of the hardship experienced by the Korean people in the 50s and 60s, after the end of Korean War. For me, I was reminded of the hardship of our forefathers after the end of World War II. Singapore and Korea share many commonalities in our modern history and because of that I can relate well to their history. Anyway, I thought it was so apt to associate life hardship with the steps of stair. Regardless of how hard life is, one just have to take it one step at a time. In Korea, the number of steps to take per day is definitely more than 40. I counted them in hundreds. I got my daily workout by just walking up and down the stairs. Who needs to go to gym when there are so many steps to take everyday?

No comments:

Post a Comment