Tuesday, September 26, 2006

날씨가 좋으니까 수원에 갑시다

Going to Suwon(수원-水原) was not because there was something that I want to do or see. I was simply captivated by the name "Suwon". Suwon, if translated, literally means "water plain" something like grass plain. When I think of grass plain, I will naturally picture the vast grass plain of Mongolia. So I was thinking that Suwon might have some breath-taking "water plains" to offer as well.

The subway from Myeongdong Station to Suwon Station took about 45mins to an hour and cost 1,400won. On arriving at Suwon Station, I was greeted by a shopping mall that housed both the rail and subway station. On exiting from the shopping mall, I found my way to the tourist information counter, a short walk from the station. The lady at the counter introduced Hwaseong Fortress(화성-華城) to me in flawless Chinese partly because she studied in Tianjin before.

팔달문-八達門

Following her instruction, I boarded the bus headed for Paldalmun(팔달문-八達門). I alighted at Paldalmun and walked my way to the Hwaseong Haenggung(화성행궁-華城行宮). Hwaseong Haenggung was the filming site for 'Daejanggeum' and 'The King and the Clown' which I later discovered. The entry fee for Hwaseong Haenggung was a token 1000won.

Hwaseong Haenggung was in fact only a small part of the Hwaseong Fortress. The fortress was so big that I just did not have the energy or time to walk one round of its perimeter. There was supposed to be this Hwaseong Trolley(화성열차-華城列車) with a cospicuous dragon head that drove tourists around the fortress for 1,500won. If I had just gotten onto one of it, it would have saved me a lot of walking. 다리가 정말 아파죽겠어요.

When I left Suwon for Seoul, I did not manage to see any "water plain". I was kinda of disappointed but I thought if I could have a few more days at Suwon, I might discover some interesting water features that befit the name Suwon. Well, whatever the thought may be, it will have to be next time.

4 comments:

  1. Equinox 씨, you update your pictures quite vigorously. One moment I didn't see it, the next moment is here. By the way, nice pictures and I imagine myself being there 히히

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are talking about push-button update. That's why. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phew!! English!!! Finally something I can understand!

    I jealous. I also want to go Suwon to meet Max (DBSK) who's in Kyung Hee (Suwon Campus)....

    ReplyDelete
  4. 미안해요.

    비 is also from Suwon Campus. but I heard that he does not really study there. All he needs to do is to perform at the campus every semester and he will get his credits. So it only "rains" in Suwon once every semester. ^^

    ReplyDelete