Tuesday, June 16, 2009

여름 학기의 첫 날

My summer semester started today. My classroom is located inside the College of Business Administration which is a relatively new building. There are altogether 19 students in my class and that makes it a very big class.

For this semester, my class starts daily at 9am and ends at 12pm. Every day, there will be a different lecturer taking us for different topics. Tuesday is Korean Culture but all we did today was self-introduction.

All my classmates speak very fluent Korean and I am not trying to be polite here. I know I can't be comparing myself to them because most of them are either Korean language majors or have been studying the language full time for more than a year.

My oldest classmate is a 60 year old Japanese retiree who has been studying Korean for the past 10 years. I have full respect for people like him who persevere for so long in order to come so far. My horizon has broadened by being a small fish in a big pond.

Like before, I will do my best for this semester. Perhaps, my dream of a Masters in Korean Language may not seem so remote after this. I like the possibility which future presents but for now I shall focus on the present.

어렵다는 말은 다 거짓말이다. 여전히 난 할 수 있다. 난 잘 할 수 있다. 난 날 믿는다.

5 comments:

  1. wow it seems like you are doing well in korea (: You will definitely be able to do your masters in korean language ^^

    i'm starting school in august. I'm choosing to major in linguistics this time

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow ... all the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey now. Somebody will probably say the same thing about me in 20 year's time.

    "You see that Muslim 할머니 there? She's the oldest student in my class".

    The future suddenly doesn't look so bleak for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks everyone. in case i am misleading you, i am not doing masters, at least not for now. i am just setting another dream since i have already fulfilled my previous dream.

    @shanna
    파이팅^^

    @aini,
    파이팅^^
    it won't take you another 20 years to come back here so you don't have to worry.

    ReplyDelete